Periodontal disease is a highly prevalent condition that, if left untreated, can lead to tooth loss. The symptoms are relatively minor initially, and there is no discomfort at all. However, as the disease worsens, you may encounter a variety of unpleasant symptoms. Our Smile Xpressions Family Dentistry dentists have covered all you need to know about periodontal treatment in this blog.
Signs & Symptoms Of Periodontal Disease
Periodontal disease can affect patients of any age. However, adults are the most commonly impacted. Because a periodontal disease might be painless at first, it’s essential to be aware of any indications given below by the best Artesia dentist.
- Gums that are inflamed, swollen, painful, or red
- Bleeding gums, particularly after brushing or flossing
- Pustules visible around the mouth and teeth
- Loose teeth
- Foul breath or a lingering bad taste in your mouth
- Gum recession causes teeth to seem larger than they are.
- Gums that have split or slipped away from the teeth, resulting in the formation of a gum pocket
- When you bite into your food, you’ll see visible changes in how your teeth fit together.
How To Prevent Periodontal Disease
You can avoid this disease by regularly practicing good oral hygiene habits, including brushing and flossing. Another preventative measure is to get treatment for periodontal disease from your Artesia dentist as soon as symptoms appear. Despite these efforts, periodontal disease remains one of the leading causes of adult tooth loss.
- Brushing and flossing your teeth at least twice a day is advised.
- The bacteria that cause disease can be killed by using antimicrobial mouthwashes or toothpaste.
- It is highly recommended that you visit your dentist in Artesia twice a year for dental cleanings and check-ups.
Periodontal Disease Treatment
Periodontal disease can be treated surgically as well as non-surgically. Although the medicines required for periodontal disease in its early stages are usually less intrusive, periodontal disease in its advanced stages necessitates oral surgery.
- Scaling involves using modern dental instruments such as a laser and an ultrasonic device to remove plaque and germs from the tooth’s surface and under the gums.
- Root planing is a procedure in which your dentist in Artesia smooths the root surfaces of your teeth to avoid bacterial and tartar buildup. This kills the bacteria’s by-products, which cause swelling and impede the healing process.
- Oral and topical antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections.
- Flap surgery (Pocket Reduction Surgery) is a procedure that involves making small incisions in the gum tissue and pulling back a part of the tissue to allow for successful scaling and panning.
- It reinforces retreating gingival tissues through soft tissue grafting. This involves grafting tissues from the top palate or a donor to replace the damaged tissues.
- Bone grafting is a treatment that repairs the jawbone that has been destroyed around the problematic tooth root.
- Using a protein-based solution on a damaged tooth root encourages the growth of healthy gum tissues and bones.
- Guided Tissue Regeneration is a technique for regrowing bacteria-damaged bone tissues.
We hope this information helps you to learn more about periodontal disease. Book an appointment with us at Smile Xpressions Family Dentistry for the best periodontal disease treatment in Artesia, NM.